Discussions about breeding and maintaining Rats, Mice, Rabbits, and other feeders.

Postby Stfn Britt » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:03 am

So I bought this female rat to breed, and Nick Giavasis (breeder I bought my boas from) told me I should use a high quality dogfood. Tht his rats were huge when born. So I gave this a try (note: this is my first attempt to breed rats) and she had about 7-10 babies. two fetuses, 5 still born, and two that died couple hrs later. She ate them all afterwards as well. So after talking wtih my local pet store (where they breed rats as well) told me that was very bad to feed her dogfood and thats why that happened. So next time around a fed her only the lab lock, along with the other female i picked up after. Both on the same diet and schedule, and my second rat did amazing. 10 healthy big babies. The origanal female had two babies, really small, then only three more a few hrs later. all of them small in size and they all died, or were still born. Is this a sign she is too old adn should be retired. Or is there something else im doing wrong or doing right? Please help.

On another note. I have 6 snakes.
2.1 Ball pythons (two 2011 babies one adult)
1.2 Boa's (two 2011 babies, one 4'8" sub adult)
whats the ideal ratio of rats I should have?
as of now I only have 1.2 rats.

Thank you again for anyones input.
Stfn Britt

Postby Cody_St_Cyr » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:13 am

I have noticed that my females will eat their pups when they are short on water. I would not feed them dog food. I feed my rodents Mazuri. They have very healthy babies and they are always really plump. I would check the water source of the rat that you are having problems with. Usually, when they are getting old, their numbers of babies will drop significantly. Hope that helps a little... If her numbers are dropping, I would say she is getting too old... I would personally stay away from dog food...
Cody_St_Cyr

Postby transamdriver94 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:52 am

im having an issue with a rat on the other side of the spectrum. some may think its great but not what i need it for. one of my 30 females gave me NO JOKE 32 babies. i had to foster them out to different female (yes i have a bunch that do it and i consider that be be lucky) and 28 are survivng. they are SMALL babies even after 4 weeks those numbers are great but sizes arent. so i will be feeding of mom the my red tail. . yes cody mazuri is great. i prefer the 6f formula. here its 23 bucks for 50 lbs or its 17 bucks for the regular mazuri 25 lb bag. they even have a 9f which is a specific mouse breeder formula. i got a couple rat colonies on that to see and thats where a 32 liter came from. its only 2 dollars more per bag at my local grainary.also the mazuri 6f ive been getting between 11 and 16 babies on a regular basis but rarely have less than 9. dog food is a no no. it will sustain a rat but its not the best thing for them. also the water source, if their is to much chlorine in the water it tends to dry out, like after swimming in a pool how dry your skin is. imagine your insides from drinking that. (that much chlorine will kill you but you get the idea) let your water sit out in a 5 gallon bucket overnight before watering and most of the harshness will disapate out of the bucket and be safer to drink.
transamdriver94

Postby transamdriver94 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:54 am

ratio of rats. 1 male to 4 or 5 females. i run 1-6 only because i always have females birthing so that means they are never that high in the rack. i am even considering 1-7 but i need more birthing racks.
transamdriver94

Postby Cody_St_Cyr » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:59 am

I run a 2.6 ratio in my tubs and have had really good success. The males are competitive for the females, but don't hurt each other...
Cody_St_Cyr

Postby transamdriver94 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:02 am

my guys seem to know what to do pretty good. i actually have to watch out for my females. and i have tried the male thing before 2 per and personally have not had good success. but each colony is different.
transamdriver94

Postby Cody_St_Cyr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:24 am

I'm going to try running a 1.5 or 1.6 with my breeders and see how it goes. I have room to expand and there are so many people here looking for feeders. The pet stores around here are really expensive!!!!
Cody_St_Cyr

Postby PhisatotPor » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:21 am

Episode 20 Kill or Be Killed2016 View this forum's RSS feed Learn Android Studio: Build Android Apps Quickly and Effectively Secret Of MoonAcre.mp4 Street Art Throwdown
Movies – Foreign
Daniel Myrick

Emma Rigby
Anna Kendrick
I?I»I±I?I± I?I±I I?IµI»I±I‚
Haziran 2008 (582)
Albert Washington - Sad And Lonely - 1973

It Lives in the Attic (2016)
13-02-2017, 21:08
xXx: Return of Xander Cage
uploaded: .. Author: Language: Bulgarian FrameRate: 25.000
Bride And Prejudice AU В» S01E05